GrimWorld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The floating tree problem

+3
Linna347
holsamoht
Leviathan7
7 posters

Go down

The floating tree problem Empty The floating tree problem

Post  Leviathan7 Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Being new to this server, I must first say that I am very impressed with the condition of the natural scenery surrounding the towns/cities. It was a VERY good idea to disable creepers, and to delay build rights to new players until they are shown where they can build/destroy (in addition to having most areas protected). Almost every other server I have been on -big and small, has a severely destroyed environment. Finally finding a server that actually resists this kind of destruction, I chose the Woodcutter job, primarily because I knew It would allow me to keep an eye on the landscape, and help maintain its natural beauty.
After a few days of cutting and re-planting around different areas of Flower Street (starterville), and New City, I have cleared/repaired more and more floating trees left by players who just cut down only what they can reach, and leave the rest hanging in mid air for other players to look at with blank expressions.
Normally I wouldn't say anything because I know this isn't a very important problem compared to others, and because only a small percentage of players seem to be bothered by this phenomena. However, I have noticed that the floating trees are becoming more and more frequent, and I cannot keep up with just my occasional repair.
I think that it would be in the best interest of this server to at least encourage new players to respect the natural landscape by chopping down only the small to medium sized trees, and taking the time (two seconds) to place one or two blocks beneath their feet to get at that last log.
Some servers have categorized the floating tree as a griefing, and have set up teams and/or events where they seek out and repair/remove floating trees. I think it would be not only constructive but also fun if we did something similar!
Leviathan7
Leviathan7

Back to top Go down

The floating tree problem Empty Re: The floating tree problem

Post  holsamoht Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:38 pm

I was going to just ban people outright for floating trees... but that might be extreme Razz

holsamoht

Back to top Go down

Post  Linna347 Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm totally on board with you. The floating trees near Summerglenne (aka my backyard) really peeved me. If I would have had wood in my inventory it would have gotten fixed there and then. And I too feel it's sloppy and annoying to leave trees hanging. If you are gonna cut it down, commit and take down the whole thing! Next time you're on Levi, lemme know and we'll go tree repairing. Tree huggers of GrimWorld Unite! lol Smile As for the perpetrators perhaps slapping a heavy fine on them would stop it...and I have the power to do so. Muahaha!

Last edited by Linna347 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : hard to type with toddler on lap)

Linna347
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan7 Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Yeah, banning is pretty extreme... you would have to ban like 2-3 people in that case. It's more of an awareness thing. If we could just reduce the rate at which floating trees are made by newcomers (even with just a sign or two, or with messages), we could maintain the landscape fine. Banning would only be necessary for larger servers (or if someone keeps doing it regardless of warning).

Edit: OR if there's a way to find out from a floating tree who's doing it, and just tell them not to continue, that works too. I have a feeling that it's just a couple people who do it repeatedly.
Leviathan7
Leviathan7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fauxen Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 am

I must also say that even though that im not a tree cutter, it really aggrivates me that people leave the tops of trees floating, i try my best to cut down the rest of the tree when i see them floating to help make it look like a nicer place, As for summerglenne i did notice some floating trees, i tried to help you out by cutting them down and replanting them go bring back its beauty Smile

Fauxen

Back to top Go down

Post  loganj94 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:50 am

Im on board with informing new players that join, that they need to cut down the whole tree if they cut one Smile
loganj94
loganj94

https://grimworld.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Leviathan7 Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:08 am

Thou shall chop down the tree, the whole tree, and nothing but the tree.
So help you Grimmy!
Leviathan7
Leviathan7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Hey, I am just the middle man. I work for "The Man", I am not him Wink Just to clear that up.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TehGreatLorenzo Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Th-then who IS the man?

TehGreatLorenzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Ummm... Well being that the saying is normally so help me "God"... take a guess....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum