[Video] Caving for dummies

Go down

How to Spelunk (Cave Mining)

Post  darkhopper on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:26 am

Caving is by far the fastest way to get ores. Walking through caves allows you to see hundreds of blocks in seconds rather than just a handful when you mine in lines. Of course, with greater rewards come greater risks. Your risks of taking fall damage or mobs damage is far higher, however, the risks are well worth the benefits. With proper preparation caving can be fairly safe. The following tutorials will guide you through caving.

The first thing one must know is what to bring
No one uses the exact same inventory for spelunking. I don't carry iron, I load up on picks. I normally carry 4-10 iron picks or 2-3 diamond picks, this is more than most people. The number you should bring will depend on how good you are at it. If you are afraid you might die carry fewer; I almost never die while caving so I bring enough that I know I will not run out.

The following is a clip of holsamoht and myself caving. Spelunking

There are many tricks that you will learn the more you cave.
Here are some tips off the top of my head:

1. Don't dig straight down. Though chances are low that you'll fall into lava, it's not worth the risk. You could also fall into a dark cave with mobs.
2. Always err on the side of caution. Don't get greedy. If you have a stack of iron ore, even if you see more don't go for it. Dig back to the surface, leave a marker so you can come back later and take your ore back home. How much you should gather before you head home depends on how likely you think it is you will die.
3. Don't leave lava anywhere it can be fallen into.
4. Always have an escape route which you can use to get away from mobs.
5. Light up all tunnels in the area around you before you start mining.
6. Check for caves above you head. Forgetting to check for these is the most common way to die to mobs.
darkhopper

Back to top Go down

[Video] Caving for dummies

Post  holsamoht on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 pm

holsamoht

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum