GrimWorld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you want to be a mod read here

3 posters

Go down

If you want to be a mod read here Empty If you want to be a mod read here

Post  holsamoht Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 am

Okay, so I have had several people bug me about becoming a mod here recently and thought that it might be useful to have a single post on my opinions on this matter. Keep in mind that I speak for myself, but believe that the others have a similar outlook.

First off, we do need help with the server. We want to grow the server, have a more active and larger players base. So the question really is how can you help? The main thing is helping new players learn the ropes quickly so that they can start to enjoy what we have to offer. For most players with medium level experience this means getting them starter equipment, setting them up with a plot in one of the cities and answering basic questions about jobs, shops etc. For less experienced players hand holding may be required so that they become integrated into the server without unintentionally griefing left and right. More experienced players may simply need build rights and directions away from civilization.

One does not need to be a mod to help people. And helping new people helps the mods/admins significantly. I love having the ability to say, "Hey code, I'm really busy right now, I'm going to give this new person build rights, can you get them settled in?" I know code will outline a new plot for the person, give them reasonable starting materials and answer their basic questions with the right level of friendliness and lack of sarcasm/trolling. It means that I don't have to break from what I am doing to help people every time they join the server.

Keep in mind, we are always on the look out for help. Discretely PMing us is your best way of showing interest in helping more. But realize that becoming a mod isn't about the powers, its about helping people and responsibility. DH and I simply had the power to give builder rights for several weeks before we could do anything else.

My guide for helping new people:
1) Orientate - New servers are confusing even for seasoned players. Every server has their own rules, mods, starter locations. New players in GrimWorld start in a cave with a lot of instruction signs. In general if you talk to a new player before they have a chance to read, they won't read. DH and I generally don't talk to new players for about a minute, unless they say something. We then ask a series of questions to figure out what their minecraft experience/level is. ex: "Have you played single player?" "How many servers have you been on before ours?"

2) Guide - Find the player, get them to New City or another town. Preferably send them money to buy a minecart so they learn how to use the stores.

3) Starter equipment - Personally, I think that new players should not get starter supplies because they won't learn the basics of the game. Players that have the basics under them benefit from the basic starter items. I recommend: 1 iron pick, 1 iron sword, 1 iron shovel, 1 iron axe, 16 coal, 16 logs, 128 cobble, 64 wheat.

I would write more, but I need to get some other work done. I will put more thoughts down at a later time.

holsamoht

Back to top Go down

If you want to be a mod read here Empty Re: If you want to be a mod read here

Post  loganj94 Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:17 am

Now i know that i should know this by now but, what is the command for sending another player money? Lol i am ashamed for my lack of knowlege in this matter xD
loganj94
loganj94

https://grimworld.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  holsamoht Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:39 am

loganj94 wrote:Now i know that i should know this by now but, what is the command for sending another player money? Lol i am ashamed for my lack of knowlege in this matter xD

/money pay [name] [amount]

holsamoht

Back to top Go down

Post  code2424 Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 pm

I think I could possibly make a good Mod Razz
code2424
code2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content